Colon Cancer Awareness is in the Air!
March is Colon Cancer awareness month, and with that an influx of screening colonoscopies were scheduled here at Digestive Health Specialists! We did our best to show the community how important it is to get screened and how you can participate in fighting this disease.
DHS is participating in the Colon Cancer Coalition’s annual Get Your Rear in Gear 5K on April 23rd, 2016. The race is right here in Winston Salem at Bailey Park! Register here. We would love to see our patients at this event! In other efforts to reach the community, several of our doctors have been featured on local radio station 600 AM WSJS to speak about different topics including hemorrhoids, colon cancer, and “50 free colons.” We hope you tuned in and continue to do so! Here are some key points to keep in mind when considering a screening colonoscopy and actively decreasing your risk of colon cancer:
• Colon Cancer is the third leading cause of cancer-related deaths in the United States.
• Colonoscopy screenings apply to everyone. Age recommendations for individuals vary based on family history, personal history, and race.
• Colon cancer often has no symptoms. You should not wait until symptoms arise to act!
• Colonoscopy is intended to be a preventative measure. If you put it off and wait until symptoms are present, the disease may already be in a late stage.
• Reduction of incidence can be up to 90% effective if your prep is good.
• In Dr. Christopher Jue’s words, “There are two types of risks: those you can control and those you cannot.” Obesity, sedentary lifestyle, smoking, heavy alcohol use, and high fat diet are things you want to avoid.
• Colon Cancer is very preventable!
With that being said, call our office at 336-768-6211 to schedule your colonoscopy today if you are of age! This disease can be detected and prevented with proper screening. Please help us spread the word!