Why a Women’s Care Team?
Although both men and women may have similar gastrointestinal disorders, women are more susceptible than men to certain gastrointestinal problems because of both physiologic and hormonal differences in their bodies. Thus, a specialized approach to treating women is often necessary to achieve the best outcomes.
Our physicians at Digestive Health Specialists, P.A. are experts in diagnosing and managing GI concerns common to women, and our provider team includes female physicians and physician assistants who specialize in this area.
If you are more comfortable discussing your medical issues with a female provider, you will find our female providers knowledgeable, sensitive and comforting during your provider interaction.
Some common medical conditions that may require a different approach to care when treating women include, but are not limited to:
- Pregnancy-related conditions such as reflux and hemorrhoids
- Obesity and weight loss management
- Irritable bowel syndrome (more likely to occur in women)
- Inflammatory bowel disease (more likely to occur in women)
- Colon cancer screening (3rd most common cancer in women in the US)
- Autoimmune disorders of both the GI tract and liver (autoimmune disorders are more likely to occur in women)
At Digestive Health Specialists, P.A. we strive to give patients the very best GI Care. For women, we believe that means providing care based on their unique experiences and lifestyle, in a confidential and caring manner. Unfortunately, many women struggle with the common conditions listed above. We want to make sure they are treated in a comfortable environment with a female provider, who understands their condition and their wish to live a healthier life.
We have seven female providers that are able to see patients in both our office and hospital setting. Click on any of the names below to review a full biography of the provider. If you are interested in making an appointment, please call 336.768.6211.
- Dr. Apsara Prasad
- Dr. Ramya Vestal
- Dr. Ingrid Gonzalez
- Amanda Cairnes, PA-C
- Elizabeth “Libby” Greenwood, PA-C
- Courtney Milleson, PA-C
- Caroline Shropshire, PA-C
- Meredith Williams, PA-C